Apr 05

Quirky Travel Photo: Venus and Cupid on Morecambe Bay

by in Culture, Photography, UK

At the end of Morecambe Bay heading towards Carnforth there’s a delightful sculpture beside the promenade.  A sturdy, naked female seated on the grass appears to be swinging a small figure around in the air.  As you drive past you get an impression of exhuberant playfulness but I bet you would never guess that evocative sculpture is known locally as ‘Venus and Cupid’.

Venus and Cupid sculpture Morecambe Bay  - photo by Zoe DawesIt was created by local artist Shane Johnstone, who erected it in 2005 at Scalestones Point in 2005.  Originally a fairground artist, Shane has created an art work that has an exhuberance and childlike innocence that brings a smile to all who see it.  It’s made from tiny coloured mosaic pieces and glitters in the sunshine.

In 2011 Morecambe Bay town council voted against buying  it from the artist and it was going to be dismantled. However, a local campaign was set up to raise funds and so far it is still in place.

Mr Johnstone said public support had made him change his mind about destroying it.  “People love it. There’s dozens of sculptures along the promenade and the two that get talked about are Eric Morecambe and my sculpture,” he said.  You often see children climbing all over it and at Christmas Cupid is usually bedecked with festive tinsel.

If you can, see it at sunset.  Light focuses on the figures and shadows play across their faces and the shimmering water or undulating (and yes, dangerous) sands spreading out towards the Lake District fells and the Irish Sea.

Watch this short video for more views of Morecambe Bay from the north promenade.

So next time you’re rushing up or down the motorway in Lancashire, take time to stop off in Morecambe to visit quirkilicious Venus and Cupid and enjoy the view – well worth a detour off the M6

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Quirky Travel Photo: Venus and Cupid on Morecambe Bay”

1. From Zoë Dawes:

There are a great many quirky artworks along the promenade, the Jetty and around the town of Morecambe which may be frayed round the edges but has coastal view second to none.

Posted on April 5, 2014 at 6:38 pm #
  2. From Alex Dawes:

It’s very quirky!

Posted on April 8, 2014 at 5:53 pm #
  3. From Paul:

Wow! What a quirky artwork! I´d really love to see it on my own. I´m plannig a trip over there, but I think I should get some gps navigation app.

Posted on April 12, 2014 at 8:26 am #
  4. From Zoë Dawes:

It certainly is Alex. I seem to remember your favourite as a youngster was the giant eagle on the Stone Jetty near the Midland Hotel 🙂

Posted on April 12, 2014 at 1:17 pm #
  5. From Zoë Dawes:

Thanks for your comment Paul but your seriously don’t need GPS to find it – just us an old-fashioned map!

Posted on April 14, 2014 at 11:59 am #
  6. From Steve:

Been to Morecambe many times but never seen this one, I will make a point of searching it out next time. Morecambe seems to have a bit of a ‘dated’ reputation and yes it’s a bit rough around the edges, but I love visiting, it has a real charm about it that I can’t quite put my finger on.

Posted on April 26, 2014 at 8:28 am #
  7. From Zoë Dawes:

As you face the Bay Steve, the sculpture is at the far rright end of the promenade towards Carnforth. I know what you mean about its curious attraction. Maybe it’s becuase it’s genuine in what it is – a seaside resort well past its prime, with little inward investment to tart it up but a few classic treasures well worth hunting out. It’s a relatively poor town and there is little to arrtcat the visitor off the ‘seafront’ but I do hope it gets more support – it has one of the best views in all of England across the Bay to the Lake District fells.

Posted on April 29, 2014 at 9:35 am #

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Why you must visit the North West of England | The Quirky Traveller Blog - September 22, 2014

[…] where you can wander through ancient woods and take a picnic beside a rippling brook. Walk along Morecambe Bay promenade and see huge flocks of seabirds, featured on Autumn Watch, set at Leighton Moss Nature […]