It had long been a dream of mine to combine my passion for travel with my love of writing. Having been fortunate to now be realizing that dream here are 5 travel writing tips to help you get started.
1. Have an ANGLE. What will differentiate you from all the other travel writers out there? I look for the QUIRKY in all I write about.
2. Use your own PHOTOS to give a visual image to support your writing. Mine are taken on a digital SLR – and some by my friends and professional photographers
3. Find your VOICE – one that is appropriate for you, your audience and what you are writing about. I imagine a good friend who wants to know about my latest exploits, gets bored easily and needs a bit of variety.
4. Use vocabulary suitable for those who might read your article. I adapt my language slightly depending on who askes me to write.
5. Understand HOW you write. Do you need to have peace & quiet? Do you prefer music or silence? I need to do two or three things at once and procrastinate until the last minute!
The main thing I have learnt is that you have to ENJOY it – otherwise there are undoubtedly loads of other things you could be doing with your time! If you have your own travel writing tips please share them here.
â€œGreat travel writing consists of equal parts curiosity, vulnerability and vocabulary. The finest travel writing describes what’s going on when nobody’s looking.â€ Tom Miller